Friday, July 23, 2010

Where Is Your Auto-Pilot Taking You?

I am ready for a vacation. I am tired; worn out really. I have agreed to go to Korea from July 28-Aug. 9, along with Rev. DaeHwa Park and my wife, Michelle, to investigate a partnership, preach in two churches and speak at a youth conference. I am excited, but at the same time, getting ready makes me even more tired: making arrangements for the care of our kids, preparing what I will say, learning a new culture—all of it just seem overwhelming right now.

I have come to believe that I am a spiritual creature living temporarily in a physical body. But I have noticed something: when I am tired, I default to the physical. Wouldn’t it be great if, when we were exhausted, we defaulted to the spiritual? Wouldn’t it be great if, when we get overtaxed, we just naturally saw our prayer life and worship life come alive? When I start feeling drained, I tend to start running on “auto-pilot” and my auto-pilot seems to be more “flesh” than “spirit.”

Apparently it takes energy to live a spiritually connected life. Like any relationship, our connection with God quickly atrophies from a lack of time and attention. How about you? How are you doing? Have you noticed that you are losing more and more battles with sin? How tired are you? When we get running too fast for too long, we find ourselves drained of the very life-giving energy that God intended for us to live by. In Galatians 5:16, the Lord speaking through the Apostle Paul says, “So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.”

When I am tired, I struggle even more to live by the Spirit. God created us for rest, for Sabbath. It is idolatry to think we can live without the God-given mandate of both work and rest. Instead of living as creatures that were designed for some rest, we have started to believe our own press—that we can do anything, and that we can continue to “push through.” It’s Friday. Take a break this weekend. Give yourself an hour or so to spend reading God’s Word, talking with God and listening to what He is saying to you and doing around you. Rest! It’s what God wants you to do.

2 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip. We'll miss all of you. I'm sure DaeHwa will take good care of you and Michele. Look forward to hearing all about the trip when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I can agree with the statement that pastors should set a vision and act as change agents for culture, I also believe in a "shared" vision and culture change. The word "ouch" used in your blog makes me feel that only one person knows what is best for me and that only he or she knows what God is saying to the church. Is it at all possible that a senior pastor and/or staff may be hearing only what they want to hear and following only the direction that they want to follow? Perhaps I am hearing only what I want to hear and believe onlt what I want to believe. When will we begin to develop a trust that will allow us to hear the real message of God? Maybe, just maybe some folks who have been around for some time have something to offer and some good ideas. Maybe God speaks to us also! Perhaps we are not just "digging in our heels but responding, in some small way, to the word of God.

    ReplyDelete