Friday, July 9, 2010

Shepherds and Ranchers

Since I believe everyone wants to feel connected to and know more about the pastor who preaches on Sunday mornings, I have decided to begin writing a weekly blog. I don’t read blogs regularly and I have never blogged before now, but I am anxious to see if this use of interactive technology can help us grow closer together and partner to build the Kingdom on earth where Jesus reigns. I have named my blog “Heart Matters” because I want to share with you more of what is in my heart. So here goes…

There are two kinds of churches, shepherd churches and rancher churches. These distinctions are made primarily on the size of the church. Shepherd churches are usually under 200 in worship attendance, have only one or two generations that are active and the senior pastor (most likely the only pastor) provides all of the pastoral care for the congregation. In a rancher church, there are usually three to four active generations, the church’s focus is as much on the needs in the community as it is on internal church needs, and the senior pastor primarily “shepherds” 10-15 leaders who then shepherd people in their own area of responsibility.

Don’t get me wrong, everyone needs the care of a shepherd; the question is how many people one person can effectively care for. With 500 to 600 people in worship on Sundays, Oakdale Emory is in a difficult place in some respects. We are too large to be a shepherd church, but many people in our congregation still feel that the senior pastor should be their “primary” shepherd. If Oakdale were a church with 1,500 or 2,000 people active each week, there would be little expectation that the senior pastor could be in touch with that size congregation on a personal level. The truth is shepherding people has great rewards. There is no better feeling than to know that you have been used by God to bless someone. There are few greater privileges than standing by the bedside singing hymns and praying as someone eases from this life to the next. Pastors, like me, who have the privilege of being a part of “rancher” churches, are forced to give some of that up and to train others to share in that privilege.

Thanks for reading my first entry. I believe you will agree that “heart matters” and hope you will let me know what you think by posting your comments below.

17 comments:

  1. Hey Kevin, this is a great idea... what a great first blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blog world! I am in the process of finding a church home! Thank You for explaining the difference in churches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kevin:
    I like the blog -- keep 'em coming!!

    Best to you,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto to what Bill said! With all the changes going on, I think we need that. Maybe Rev. Deans should start one when he feels he's comfortable enough with his new church. It would help the congregation get to know both of you better and to learn more about why changes are made,etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanyetta, I hope you will join us for worship at OEUMC. It is a wonderful church and you'll find the most caring people and as a member of the Hospitality Committee, we strive to be Welcoming to all members as well as visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kevin.
    Great idea and great explanation. I am very excited about what I sense as a new and more powerful anointing of the Holy Spirit for Oakdale. I am blessed to be a part of it and hope my health will allow greater participation in all that God is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good venue to keep up with you, Kevin, and hear what others think too. I'm all about living the faith every day and would love to hear from others who are doing this, as a way to encourage each other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Print newsletter, CDs, DVDs, audio downloads, sanctuary video, Brigham Hall simulcasting, podcast subscriptions, Two42, streaming live video, streaming recorded audio and some way soon that nobody has thought of yet. The methods of reaching people continue to change, but the *message* of Jesus - and of allowing Him to live within each of us every day - is staying right where it should be.

    Thanks for your leadership and your Christian heart. Keep the message coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the illustration you used to explain the different types of churches, but I LOVE your openness and your heart for sharing the love of Jesus. I look forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kevin,
    I love this approach. It will allow you to remain connected to the church family more frequently throughout the week. That is a always a good thing for those of us that want to keep up with what is going on in the daily life of our Oakdale church family. We will be praying that use of this new technology will be appreciated by the rest of the church as much as by my family. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If i can't hear you on Sunday morning, then i'm thrilled to read your stuff whenever you've got thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to seeing you wear boots and a cowboy hat during the next sermon. Thank you for all you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed your blog, Kevin. What a great way to connect. Yes, the cowboy hat on Sunday is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am OK with the boots and hat but could you leave the whip at home?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kevin, this is an awesome way to connect and personally - as much as I love you - I do not want you to shepherd all of us. Jesus did not model that one person do it all! He chose 12 to go out and spread his word - a much more productive and expedient method then doing it all by yourself! Let's continue to model the life Jesus led - by shepherding and modeling the love of Jesus with each and every person we come in contact with every day - this is true evangelism!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was me, Katie - but have no idea how to post it without choosing the anonymous dropdown...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Katie or anyone else...when u select comment as choose name and just type your name. Luv u

    ReplyDelete